2017-03-07

Nagahama Neru: A quick visit home to Nagasaki

Looking straight at it,   173

Nagahama Neru
2017.03.08


Good evening ~


The other day,
I made a day-trip home to Nagasaki o(^o^)o


By chance, it was the day of my school's graduation ceremony.
Knowing I should greet my teachers, I went there secretly!


They showed me the graduation album,
And I chattered loudly with my friends!

Who I'd spoken with in the classroom,
Having a nosebleed during class...
It all came back to me like it was yesterday ~


But although things seemed not to have changed, they had changed.
It made me sad to realize that was true.



After that
My friends hurriedly got together a graduation ceremony for me by the side of the road  (TOT)

More treasures in my heart!



Together we read my interview
In B.L.T.'s "graduation" feature, where I said:
"I want to go and greet my teachers and my friends."

When someone said
"Waah! That's what's happening now!"
I felt the greatest happiness.






My instant-print camera can't handle this.



Thank you very much for reading my blog.

Nagahama Neru

_______________________________________________________  posted 2017/03/08  11:41

A wonderful post. The title, Chokushi 直視, means to look straight at something, such as to face reality, or to look someone in the eye. Neru's doing both things here: she relates directly to her old school friends, and she faces the reality that she is there in Nagasaki no longer, but has a new life. A wonderful blend of sadness, strangeness, and (unexpressed) joy.

I wonder if that vague night scene is at the spot where they held their little graduation ceremony. Maybe it's just a roadside in Nagasaki. Like Neru, I can go back to the place where I grew up and remember how it was, but the place is somehow different...and so am I. The difference and sameness are both miraculous. And a wave of nostalgia passes by.


No comments:

Post a Comment