2017-07-16

Nagahama Neru blog: First post after the Showroom fiasco

Soda water, 218

Nagahama Neru
2017.07.16


Good evening.

I'm sorry for ending up leaving such a gap between posts!
For a week, I was living without a smartphone
⊂⌒っ´-.-`)っ


I couldn't be on today's Music Day show

Because of other work.
I'm sorry for being so late telling you.

It was the first performance of the new song
Monday morning, they cut my skirt,
Which is in the album that will be released July 19.


I'm also late announcing this,
But I was given the cover of the edition of Weekly Shounen Sunday
That came out July 12.




 Please be sure to take a look.




Recently,
I've squandered a year's worth of miracles,
I will continue with an even more thankful heart
To live on with care.






At a time when my head was so very, very full of things
Rina-chan brought me some chocolates!

She is really so kind.

Things like this really pervade my heart
And make me feel such warmth.



Thank you very much for reading.

Nagahama Neru
_____________________________________ written evening 170715, posted by staff 170716  02:56h


It has been two weeks since Neru has posted to her blog. In between came the fateful Showroom in which Neru (and Fuu-chan, and Satoshi) seemed so discourteous to Sugai, the show that let loose the longstanding anti-Neru brigade, dogs who have been baying after her ever since she joined, and who now keep howling for her blood. They saw their chance and have set their teeth in it.

Not that they have no reason for their attitude. Neru really did seem to treat Sugai badly. I was bothered by it myself. But on that Showroom, I think we saw a cultural divide within Keyakizaka. On one side are the free-spirited and informal souls like Neru and Mona, lives of the party. On the other hand, there are also a few more formal characters like Sugai. As someone who is naturally more like Sugai, I can sympathize to some extent with both. But as a huge fan of Neru, I (rightly or wrongly) think she is being  wronged. Maybe it's just the natural consequence of the fact that the chaffing of a dressing room does not mesh well with the formality of a broadcast -- especially one run by Sugai.

I hate to admit it. I know it's probably unfair. But the follow-up -- or lack of it -- to this event has turned me against the estimable Sugai-sama. Part of a captain's job is to defend her members, right or wrong. Sugai and management had to find ways to defuse the enmity toward Neru. And so far they have not. Maybe only time can heal the wound. But I have to admit also that Sugai's aristocratic-seeming background and enormous effort and self-control have long made me uneasy. She is so good at social niceties that I personally can't be sure what she really feels. Of course, Neru is also hard to grasp: she really does seem to me to be a tanuki, tricky and smart and active.


In any case, here are links to two compilations (short and long) from the offending program, so you can see why people feel they are entitled to condemn Neru, and make a bit of a judgement for yourself. Neru shows little respect for Sugai. Perhaps that's just the case, since Neru appears to be mentally much quicker. Perhaps she is trying to enliven the staid program Sugai planned. And Fuu-chan and Satoshi seem to be with Neru rather than Sugai. All three seem to ignore much of what Sugai says. And Sugai at least seems plaintive and slow in the face of Neru's dancing pushiness.

It's hard for us to understand what is really going on here because we have no idea of what went before, or of what life among the Keyakis is really like. This may be the normal chaffing of a locker room or a dressing room. Or it may be Neru and the others trying to push back against the official captain. Perhaps they resent her trying to go from spokesman and organizer of practices to some kind of boss.

A year ago, Techi said she didn't want a captain, that it was better for responsibility to be spread among the group. Maybe Neru and others still feel that way. And perhaps Neru resents seeing Sugai earning a spot in the hierarchy near or equal to hers.

It may partly be Neru trying to make Sugai's show more interesting, rather than the school classroom she set it up to be, with an organized succession of topics to check off.

Whatever the case, that show has caused explosions in the world of Keyakizaka fandom, with posts like "Neru is finished" frequently showing up in her 2channel threads.

Could it be that management took Neru's phone away so that she would not read the horrid comments? Or write things that would make them worse? Is Neru saying in this post that she feels she squandered the credibility she built up over a year? (I'm not a hundred percent sure of the meaning Neru is trying to convey with her words, and I welcome suggestions.) In another context, Fuu-chan has said that Neru takes things too much to heart, and blames herself for everything. How must Neru feel under the current barrage?

The captain and management should do more to try to dampen the flames.

It occurs to me that Neru may be feeling particularly upset right now if she has been told that she will move totally over to the Hiragana side, when it is clear that she loves the Kanjis far more. Perhaps this news made her lose control and she (justly or unjustly) took it out on Sugai.

By the way, another reason people have suggested for the blog hiatus is that Neru has been on a desert island filming a reality show. Not likely, but....

original source

EDIT: I've had a comment elsewhere that I'm taking this too seriously and the only people who hate Neru now are the same people who hated her before. I hope so. It's certainly possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment