2016-12-21

Interview: Sugai Yuuka and Shida Manaka on the Christmas lives

Yukka and Mona talk about the past year, themselves, and each other. From the Model Press website

Sugai Yuuka (21) and Shida Manaka (18)

We want to show something "Keyakizaka46-like"



-- Your first one-man live is coming up. Please tell us what you are excited about.

Sugai: I really hope we can show something Keyakizaka46-like. By presenting ourselves straight, just as we are, I want the people who have followed us so far to say: "They've really grown." In this first solo live we'll be testing for ourselves what we have become, and it would be nice if we could present a live that surprises people.

Shida: In this first solo live,  the victory will come in how well we can communicate ourselves as we are now. We'll do our best!



-- So far, the longest live you've done is the seven songs at Perfect Halloween 2016. Even though you've done things like Girls Award 2016 Autumn/Winter, etc., you must be nervous.

Shida: At most of our lives so far, not all of the audience were Keyakizaka46 fans, and we wondered how things would go. But this time, everyone will be coming to see Keyakizaka46, and I think we will be relaxed as we perform.

Sugai: That's how I feel, too. In this live, our biggest intention is to allow people to feel the words and the world-view of our songs. But if the members' understanding of the songs is all over the place, I think the songs will not reverberate in the hearts of the people watching. During rehearsals, we intend to make sure we all understand the meaning of the lyrics of the songs.


Sugai's effort, Shida's fashion...



-- Basically, Sugai-san is the MC at events. Can you tell us about that?

Sugai: It didn't start out that way, but at a certain point it became me. But I still have a lot to regret after each event. I guess that with so many people in front of me, I just get nervous... I still haven't gotten used to it.
 

-- Does Shida-san want to try her hand at being MC...?

Shida: It would be totally impossible for me (laughs). During breaks, etc., and before events, she writes down lots of notes, and makes sure the members will ask certain questions. She's really amazing. I couldn't do what she does... I've got a communication block (laughs). At this point I have no desire to do it (wry smile).


-- Shida-san has been on the covers of fashion magazines like Zipper and Kera, and you are doing more modelling activities, aren't you?

Shida: But really right now I'm quite confused about fashion. I don't know what kind of fashion suits me.... I really love clothes, and I'm getting various kinds of experience, but I think I have to decide what kind of fashion suits me.

-- What kind of fashion do you wear most in private life?

Shida: Used clothing. After I came to Tokyo, I found out about the used clothing shops, and they have so much cute stuff. I don't know much about it, but recently I've felt I would like to work in a used clothing shop (laughs).

-- Do you talk about fashion and beauty with the other members?

Sugai: For things about beauty, Moriya Akane is far out ahead. She knows a lot, and she's always bringing in new information, it seems to me. (laughs) I'm pretty removed from all that. I just listen in on the conversations.

-- Why do you just listen in? (laughs)

Sugai: Maybe because I'm embarrassed? (laughs) When I hear things, I often think "ehhhh??"


Showing a "what a waste" expression!


-- The two of you have a signature pose in the Futari Saison MV that's so cute!

Sugai: It was embarrassing. That scene had to be shot over and over again. Should we be smiling, or would it be better to look sad?

Shida: Yes. We were told to give a "what a waste" expression. We were like: what kind of expression is that? (wry smile)

Sugai: The lyrics say "what a waste if I had never seen you," etc. So people should look at us and see "what a waste" (laughs). But I think we ended up with the same expression.



"Embarrassed..." Have their impressions of each other changed?


-- It has been around eight months since your debut with "Silent Majority" in April. I imagine lots of things have happened. Are there ways in which you think you have changed?

Sugai: I hope I may have changed inside. When I was given the chance to take part in activities with Keyakizaka46, I had no self-confidence. I was afraid of other people's eyes. My thoughts were negative and I was always hesitant.... I hated that self, and my first step in changing it was to take the Keyakizaka46 audition. From then on, meeting so many new people -- fans, members, staff -- I think I have gradually became more optimistic and forward-looking.

-- Shida-san, has your impression of Sugai-san changed?

Shida: At first, I guess I had no impression (laughs). Actually, I thought she spoke in a very lady-like way, but that her real character was actually pretty harsh (laughs). But even off-camera, she talks the same way, so I realized it was real. So my original image of her has changed quite a bit.

-- Now, Shida-san, please tell us how you yourself have changed.

Shida: In a good sense, I've come to pay no attention to the people around me. Up to now, I've read too much into people and gotten uneasy. But now I just do things in my own way.

-- And how does Sugai-san see Shida-san?

Sugai: At first, I thought she was scary.

Shida: I get that a lot... (laughs)

Sugai: Her eyes are big, and she has a lot of force in them. But it seems that at some point she began to talk quite a bit. Among the members, she's cheerful, and funny, a completely different type from me, with a lot of things that I don't have. She's an existence that Keyakizaka46 could definitely never do without.

Shida: (looking steadily at her) I'm embarrassed. (laughs)


The secret for making dreams come true


-- Please give a message to girls who are working hard to make their dreams come true

Shida: Say what you want to do.This is the experience I've had over the past year. I think it's good to have the words "I want to take up this challenge" come out of your mouth.

Sugai: It's similar, but I think it's important to communicate things. You can think about all kinds of things, but there are many things you can't solve that way. Starting from when I first announced that I was going to apply for the Keyakizaka46 audition; and for example when I write things in my blog and people come and read them -- from that a lot of things flow. In any case, I think everything starts from that first step of saying something publicly.

No comments:

Post a Comment