2017-11-01

Kakizaki Memi blog: Red leaves reflected on the water

Surface of the water

Kakizaki Memi
2017.11.02


Good evening.
It's Kakizaki Memi.

Hallowe'en is over, and we've suddenly plunged into November.
Recently, time seems to go by too quickly. I've lost all sense of what day of the week it is (lol).


The weather was so good today that I thought I'd take a little walk.



I found a candy shop, and a bakery, and saw all the different designs on the manhole covers. I made piles of new discoveries ( ´﹀` )

Ah, and as well, I found a spot where the red leaves reflected so beautifully on the surface of the river!

Seeing the red leaves made me want to go and walk in the mountains... (*˙˘˙)


Right! I'll work hard through November, too, and will not be defeated by the cold!

Bye-bye.
Kakizaki Memi
______________________________________________
171102  11:02

The title of this post means "water-surface," but Memi gives it to us in two forms: kanji 水面 and hiragana みなも. The kanji would naturally be pronounced suimen, from the original Chinese. The hiragana are a fully Japanese minamo (but that's also a possible pronunciation of the kanji). Both pronunciations are correct, and mean the same thing. Welcome to the wonderful world of Japanese orthography. I love it that Memi can play with these things. She is thinking of the way the red autumn leaves reflected from the surface of the water, on her walk.

Memi writes short posts, and not that many of them, but they often have one or two little points of elegant interest. Quality over quantity. She's a bit like an apprentice Neru in that regard. In fact, when I see the monthly greeting cards, I usually think that Neru and Memi have the best calligraphy, as well. Memi's artistic side shows with her observation of the red leaves -- and of the various manhole covers, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment