2017-08-08

Nagahama Neru blog: 72nd anniversary of the atomic bombing of Nagasaki

Lamp,  224

Nagahama Neru
2017.08.09


Hello.

Today, August 9th,
Is the day the atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki.
This is the 72nd anniversary.

Because communication is my job,
This is my second "atomic explosion day."


In the world today,
There are all kinds of problems.
And there are many things I don't know.

Because it would be good for the world to be at peace,
I want to make the world peaceful.
I have always thought that,
And now that I'm 18, I have thought it for a very long time.

At one point, I thought that for someone like me, it was useless
To ponder such an enormous problem.
I realized this and gave up.


But now,
Led by many happenstances and by fate,
I am in a place where I can communicate to people about this.



I have thought about peace.
And I will share my thoughts so that in everyone's mind
There may be a small impetus of memory
To listen without prejudice to those who suffered from the effects of radiation.

I can do now.
I can do it because of who I am.

I want to face this directly
And fulfill my mission.



As well as praying for all those who made the sacrifice then, I want to offer sympathy to all those who are suffering today.




I was invited to appear on the special program "Camphor Tree"
Which will be on Nagasaki International Television
On August 26, starting at 10am.
I was visited the actual bombed camphor tree
At San-nou Shrine in Nagasaki.

This opportunity was made possible
By miracle upon miracle, and with the help of many people.
I feel my mission
And give thanks for this happenstance from the bottom of my heart.

In the program,
The question is asked:
"What is peace, to you?"

Truly a difficult question.

The broadcast is only in Nagasaki,
But everyone please watch.



And now for today.
We are approaching Keyakizaka46's national tour performance in Fukuoka.

In summer two years ago,
Full of longing and with my breath taken away,
I watched Nogizaka46's live at the Fukuoka International Centre.

Now I will stand on that same stage.

It is the place that changed my father and mother's minds.
The place that first made my heart leap in my chest, imagining the future.


If that day had not been, today would not have been.
And I may not have had this profession.


To stand in that place
On the 9th of August
Is fate, I believe.
And as I always have, I will come to grips with fate with all my strength.








What is the antonym of "Happiness"?


Thank for reading my blog.

Nagahama Neru
_______________________________________________ posted 170809  10:04h

A wonderful post to which my translation does not do justice. Neru writes well, making full use of Japanese syntax and word order to deliver her points to our hearts.

What is the antonym of Happiness? One of them is "War." It is easy to think a war will solve things, but wars seldom do. And they all cause enormous amounts of suffering.

From what she wrote last year, I believe even Neru recognizes the complexity of the problem, and the fact that sometimes preparation for war can prevent war. But the fact is that war=suffering, and that equation has to be borne in mind when we think about how to address our problems.

I've translated shiawase as "happiness," but it also has elements of blessing, good fortune and a peaceful, happy life.

1 comment: